« Home | My Own Room Again! » | Land of the Kimchee »

Happy Birthday To Me!

July 31st is the offical start of the Program at the University of Seoul. It also happens to be the same day as my birthday. However, I haven't really told anyone that it is my birthday.

In the morning, we had an orientation about the school as well as activities that are planned for the month that we are here in Korea. This is the first time I had a chance to meet everyone in the program. There seemed to be more people from East Asia than from anywhere else in the world.

After the orientation, I took a placement test to see if my Korean language abilities were beginner, intermediate, or advanced. The test was one of the most difficult tests I have ever taken in my life. I couldn't understand about half the test and the part I did understand, I didn't have that much confidence in my answers.

After the test, we had about an hour break to get something to eat and relax. In the early evening, we went to the opening reception for the program. Surprisingly, the coordinator asked me to give some opening remarks about the program during the opening reception! Luckily for me, I have give quite a few speeches before, so I was not totally blank on what to say.

The food at the opening reception was buffet style with Korean food. So I had a chance to try a sample of Korean food. I guess after my speech, I became kind of popular because while I was eating, people kept asking me to take a picture with them. Some of them were quite cute : )

The results of our test will be posted tomorrow. Tomorrow is also the first day of class, so I guess I won't go out and party too much tonight : )